Can you tell us a little bit about Canadian Solar’s history in South America and what makes you different from your competitors?
Canadian Solar has been present in the main utility-scale markets in LATAM for the last 5 years, generating a regional pipeline of over 1.5 GWp PPA-awarded projects, mainly guided by projects awarded in government auctions – including:
- over 950 MWp in Brazil (across all 5 Federal Auctions for PV),
- over 450 MWp in Mexico (from the 1st and 3rd federal auction)
- and 100 MWp in Argentina among others (acquired from RenovAr 1.5).
Canadian Solar is a fully-integrated solar leader worldwide from both of its main 2 divisions: Energy Group and Module Manufacturing, with:
- Over 3 GWp solar power plants executed
- Leading solar player in the industry since 2001
- Solar technology reference worldwide and long-term market partner
- Recognized track-record in development, financing, construction and operation of projects
- Global market relationships with major investors, lenders and commercial partners
- Top developer at global and regional level with established local capabilities
- Global leader with proven track record and extensive experience across whole solar PV value chain
Where do you see the biggest business development opportunities in South America?
In the short-term – government auction for utility-scale projects – including markets such as Brazil, Mexico, Argentina – and potentially others such as Colombia, Peru etc.
In the mid-to-long term – Distributed Generation and Private PPA projects.
What game-changing project or technology is currently making waves in the clean energy industry?
Bi-facial modules is certainly a clear technology upside for Solar PV modules – providing substantial improvements in the energy yields and production efficiency.
What would you say are the biggest challenges to the adoption of clean energy in South America?
Political and financial stability – in order to contain sovereign and off-taker credit risks
What are you most looking forward to debating and discussing during South America Energy Week?
- Approach to new and emerging markets
- Adoption of alternative business models such as merchant projects, distributed generation and private PPAs.
About Francisco Diez Quiralte
Francisco Diez Quiralte heads the business development activities of Canadian Solar Energy Group in LATAM. He has been responsible for generating a regional pipeline of over 1.5 GWp, mainly guided by projects awarded in government auctions – including over 950 MWp in Brazil (across all 5 Federal Auctions for PV), 450 MWp in Mexico (from the 1st and 3rd federal auction) and 100 MWp in Argentina among others.
Francisco leads Canadian Solar investment opportunities in LATAM, designing the regional strategy, managing project analyses, structuring and acquisitions, as well as conducting closings and executions together with an over 20-employee multi-national team.
His background in renewables includes PV, wind, CSP and CPV energy technologies, having guided the strategy for regional markets, auction processes and key project partners (Developers, Advisors, EPCs, Lenders, Investors…) and overseen Due Diligence, EPC/O&M contracts, financial closing and sale processes.
Proven track record in solar PV since 2009, covering energy deals all over EU and LATAM markets and holding international business development positions with leading players in the renewable energy industry. Read full bio here.